Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Monday 8 August 2011

End Of Week Post

Let There Be Rock 1980 directed by Eric Dionysius, Eric Mistler
This is by far one of the best live performances by a band I've ever seen. The energy of this band and the enormity of their performance and overall sound is simply astounding.
This is definitely some of the best live footage of ACDC and I'd say it's a must see for all their fans. And even for any fans of the Rock genre as a whole, as few bands completely capture the very spirit of rock as well as ACDC did.




La Double Vie De Veronique - 1991 directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski
9/10
 This is a film I had heard much about and was really looking forward to. It is also the first of Kieslowski's films I have seen, I thought it was a most interesting work, that could have been off putting in it's vagueness if not for the wonderful performance of Irene Jacob and the stunning cinematography.
It is truly a beautiful film to look at, and the story kept me interested even thought it was almost cryptic in it's nature, I thought it flowed very well and the fact that I didn't grasp all of it did not bother me at all. It reminded me of a David Lynch film in some ways, the way nothing is explained for the viewer and the way themes are followed through in peculiar ways throughout the film. I liked it a lot and Kieslowski has definitely got my interest, I look forward to seeing the Three Colours Trilogy and the Decalogue.



Das Boot - 1981 Wolfgang Petersen
10/10
A unique film, made all the more fascinating by the fact that this very same director would go n to make Troy.
The film's portrayal of life on a U Boat was harrowing and intense, I was particularly impressed by the technical aspects of it all,and how brilliantly they had managed to surpass the obvious difficulties of shooting in such confined places.
The acting was also great, and from what I've read, it seemed to me like they captured the spirit of the U Boat men admirably.
All this makes for a film that easily lives up to it's title of "classic".


Terror's Advocate - 2007 directed by Barbet Schroeder
10/10

I don't watch nearly enough documentaries as I'd like, but when I do often discover some amazing works. This is one of them.
It is highly informative, in fact I feel I've learnt more by watching this than I ever did in history class at school, and very well made. Schroede brings his professional and artistic eye to the whole affair and manages to create a very fluid and well put together piece.
Their is an enormous amount of information flying round here and yet I never felt confused once, so I must congratulate all those involved in the making of this.
The subject is an ideal one for a documentary, one of the most controversial men in France, Jacques Vergès, a lawyer known for his extremist sympathies and anti colonialist leanings. He defended the likes of Carlos, Klaus Barbie and many more infamous figures. If you have anything more than a fleeting interest in French history, or in the birth of modern terrorism (which is something the film reveals a lot about) then I'd highly recommend this.
And the English title is a great play on words, brining to mind both devil's advocate (which Vergès most certainly is) and a lawyer (or advocate) who defends terrorists.

 A Few Thoughts:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy has officially become my most anticipated film for the rest of the year after the fantastic second trailer was released.
It has an extensive cast, with John Hurt, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Tom Hardy and many, many more familiar faces.
I have read the book it is adapted from, as well as the two sequels, and while it is rather tough material for a cinematic adaptation, I'm convinced that it will make a great film if done well.
It is directed by Tomas Alfredson, who impressed critics and audiences alike with his film Let The Right One In a few years ago (I was not very impressed, but that's another story.), he will certainly bring an interesting element to the story, and I'm glad it isn't turning out to be an entirely Hollywood affair, as it would have been a complete disaster.

Recently, I've decided to put together some lists for the blog, to add a bit of lighter content here and there. I've come up with some interesting ideas all ready. And one in particular that I'venearly finished all ready.
There is one that is a particularly tough task, as it will be a lst of all the directors whose work I have never seen but feel I should.

On a completely unrelated note, I was down at the pub earlier today and was surprised to find Brendan Gleeson there, playing the violin.For those that don't know, Gleeson is an Irish actor of some renown as he portrayed Mad Eye Moody in the Harry Potter films, I loved his performance in In Bruges far more though. He's just a very good actor and apparently will be trying his hand at directing soon.
Anyway, I didn't speak with him as I didn't want to interrupt his violin playing, but I'm sure I'll see him around some time as he leaves close by me.

And finally, the details of the Irish Film Blogathon will be posted tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that!

Time for some links:

BT reviews Louis Malle's Black Moon, a film which I'll definitely be watching due to my new found admiration of Malle's work.

Michael Parent celebrates his birthday with a list of the best films released that year. And posted an excellent review of A Clockwork Orange.

The Film Conoisseur reviews Castle In The Sky, a Miyazaki film I have yet to see, but based on his excellent review I quickly got hold of it and look forward to watching it.

Nick @Ramblings Of A Demented Doorknow lists his Top Ten Favourite Luc Besson Productions.

Thomas lists his favourite Musical Film Characters.

CS writes about a recent, and extremely off putting, experience he had at the cinema.

Anomalous Material presents it's list of Top 10 Coolest LGBT characters, I particularly like the top choice.

Limette reviews a film called Band Baaja Baaraat.

Well, that's all for these week. Did you see anything interesting this week? Feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment