Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Monday 4 April 2011

Weekly Collection of Random Film Thoughts

  •  Has anyone seen Werner Herzog's new film, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, it's received such excellent reviews and I can't wait to see it especially after watching this interview in the Guardian, the problem is that I doubt it will be screened anywhere near me, for there are no indie/arthouse cinema's with 3D installations. SO has anyone seen in it in either 3D or 2D, which is better and is the film worth watching in 2D at all?

  • I've been meaning to watch The Crying Game, but I know the big twist towars the end, if I know this twist beforehand do you think I will enjoy the film less then if I knew nothing. Is there a point in watching such films that rely on a big twist at all if it's been spoiled already? I'm thinking of films like Fight Club and The Usual Suspects.
  • Sucker Punch really got trashed in by almost everyone, I can't say I was expecting it to perform so badly. I won't bother seeing it now, especially as I really didn't like any of Snyder's previous work.
  •  Source Code looks great though, can't wait to see it. In fact it's one of my most anticipated films of the year, along with Tintin, 13 Assassins, The Tree Of Life, Hugo Cabret and that's about it. 
  • I'm also really looking forward to Sunshine and Oranges, which is directed by Jim Loach, Ken Loach's son. And while I'm mentioning famous directors sons, I also have got hold of Notre Jour Viendra, by Romain Gavras, the son of famous director Costa Gavras.
    • Whatever happened to that film based on the Artemis Fowl books? I enjoyed those books as a child and think they would make interesting films in the right hands, I seem to remember seeing a trailer for it a couple of years ago and thinking it looked terrible, but it was never released, it seems to be one of those projects that sunk into oblivion...
    • I can't believe the success the animation "Hop" just had, I hadn't never even heard it mentioned once before it was released and now it's the biggest opening weekend of the year! It still looks awful though.
    • After watching The Doors, and loving it, I've been thinking that more musicians deserve a biopic, guys like Elvis for example would make for an excellent film. Of course the casting would have to be good, but I would definitely enjoy a film about Elvis's life... A film about the life of Napoleon would be amazing as well. What are the biopics you would like to be made?
    • One genre or sub-genre of film I am really interested in is films that deal with film-making, I find this fascinating, I watched Wag The Dog recently and that film touches on the subject, albeit in a very cynical way, so I was wondering if there are any others you recommend?  I've seen some of the more famous ones, like The Player, 8 1/2, Ed Wood, Adaptation, Sunset Boulevard and other such as Boogie Nights, White Hunter Black Heart etc.

    Here are a few links to posts I enjoyed reading this week:

    Andy Buckle writes a most interesting article on modern cultural criticism.
    Check out the latest LAMBcast, in which "Paul" is discussed.
    Nick L puts and end to his long absence by starting a series of posts that will list his five favourite films from each decade. Starting by the 30's.
    Liam has "reinvented" his blog, check it out, it has become a very good place for discussion.
    Here's a list of Stevee's favourite actors working today.
    These capsule reviews at Between The Seats are worth reading.
    Sebastien reviews the recent documentary Gasland, which I'm really looking forward to.
    Candice compiles a list of great dramatic performances given by actors mainly known for comedy, very interesting stuff.
    Andy asks for film recommendations, I'm sure you can think of something for him to watch!
    CS asks which director is better, Wes Anderson or Darren Aronofsky!

    Any comments are always appreciated, in fact feel free to use this as an open thread, just post whatever is on your mind.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment