Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Monday 14 February 2011

Quick Ratings/Reviews of The Week

I thought it would be interesting to write a post detailing all the films I see over the week.
Thus if you recommended I watch a certain film, you will be able to see if I liked it by reading this without me having to write a long review. You can also recommend more films based on my opinions of the ones included in these posts. Or find new films you might be interested in watching.
If you think this idea is pointless or you have suggestions, don't hesitate to comment!
 
Films seen this week:


Un singe en hiver (A Monkey in Winter) (It's Hot in Hell) - 1962 directed by Henri Verneuil, starring Jean Gabin and Jean Paul Belmondo. 
8/10

Simple but charming film that effectively transports the viewer back to it's time. 
Written by Michel Audiard, father of director Jacques Audiard, who also wrote other French forgotten classics such as Les Tontons Flingeurs and Les Vieux De La Vieille.
The film tells the tale of a reformed drunk who encounters a young drunk and befriends him, it is a film about drunkenness and addiction but not in an overly depressing style, instead it's consistently entertaining and a great look at France during the 60's. Recommended but not very easy to find I'm afraid, worth seeking out though, especially to see Gabin and Belmondo.

Bronson - 2009 directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, starring Tom Hardy
9/10

An absolutely insane film.
It's highly recommended if you're looking for a film with a fantastic lead performance, great display of technical abilities and a great sense of fun.
Trailer hereReview here 

 If..... - 1968
Directed by Lindsay Anderson starring, Malcolm McDowell
10/10

I had high expectations for this film and they were completely overwhelmed by the greatness of "If...", it's a masterpiece of British film making and deserves all the praise it receives. It is way ahead of it's time, in fact I doubt a film like this could get made even now. Fantastic in practically every way!
I would like to thank The Film Conoisseur for convincing me to finally watch it with his excellent review!


Fat City - 1972
Directed by John Huston, starring Jeff Bridges, Stacy Keach and Susan Tyrell
8/10

One of Hustons best films, yet one of his least known. A downbeat, unpretentious and thoroughly honest look at a handful of people on the West Coast of the US. It deals with boxing in a completely different way than is usual and has aspects that bring to mind The Grapes Of Wrath.
Opening scene here! You'll have to find the rest of the film elsewhere though...




This doesn't happen very often but this week I went to the cinema and saw not one but two films:


Tron Legacy - 2010
4/10
Great visuals and decent performances failed to save this film due to it's terrible script, I mean nothing actually makes sense when you think about it. Not that I expected it to be realistic, but I did expect a minimum of cohesion and logic throughout the film, I was disappointed. 
It was entertaining enough though, but not a good film.


The Green Hornet - 2010
5/10
This was actually a rather pleasant surprise, based on the reviews I've read I was expecting something far worse. Instead I thought it was competently directed, decently acted (although I do hope Chrispoth Waltz doesn't continue getting typecast as the foreign villain) and a lot of fun. Nothing amazing and rather fogettable but still a very enjoyable viewing experience.


Yes, the films I saw in the cinema were the worst I saw this week, but I did go to the local multiplex which only screens the latest Hollywood releases, and to make it worse they are all dubbed into French, I hate dubbing!

I also rewatched:

Battle Royale - 2000
And my review on it haven't changed, I enjoyed it just as much the second time, despite the fact that the unpredictability from the first viewing was naturally missing...
Read my review here

Then to end the week I saw:

In Bruges - 2009
9/10
This was also a very pleasant surprise. Colin Farrel was excellent as was the rest of the cast, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. The script was witty, extremely funny and refreshingly un-politically correct. The setting was beautiful and the score was very fitting. And all around great film that is surprisingly moving while still being entertaining. 
Not many films manage to juggle between intense emotional scenes and humorous scenes but this film succeeded admirably.



And that's all for this week! 
This wasn't one of my most productive weeks in terms of film watching, for I didn't watch any of Monday or Tuesday, I'll try and make up for that next week!

Next Week I'll be watching a few films recommended to me by my fellow bloggers, such as Boy A (recommended by Cinematic Paradox), Enter The Void (recommended by Big Thoughts From A Small Mind) ..... but I must watch few classics as well, for this week I watched to many recent films.