Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Sunday 10 April 2011

Weekly Collection of Random Film Thoughts

  • RIP Sidney Lumet, you were one of the very best Pre-New Wave directors. I loved Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and Network, all would placed very highly on my favourites list. I'll be watching his final film, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, as a sort of tribute to his death.


  • I've recently been thinking that the elderly are really under-represented in mainstream Cinema. I always enjoy watching a film that is about the elderly and I often notice how different it seems, it's a real shame more film about the elderly aren't made in mainstream film. I don't exactly mean films featuring older actors, there are a few of those, but films dealing with being old, the way one changes and looks at life differently as well as  the issues and problems that can arise from age.
  • Can anyone recommend some good rock opera's, I've seen three so far: Tommy, Quadrophenia and The Wall, I loved all of them and was wondering if there were others that any of you would recommend. The more obscure the better... 
  • I recently listened to an interview of director Terry Gilliam on BBC Radio 4. It was a great interview, he sounds like a most amusing and interesting person. Anyway, I've decided to watch the last few films of his that I haven't seen, namely Tideland and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Ihave seen al his others and this is how I would rank them:
  1. Brazil
  2. The Life Of Brian
  3. The Fisher King
  4. The Holy Grail
  5. Twelve Monkeys
  6. The Adventures of the Baron Munchausen
  7. The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus
  8. Time Bandits
  9. Jabberwocky
  10. The Brothers Grimm
  • I've only recently heard of the upcoming film by David Croenenberg, A Dangerous Method, the story of Freud and Jung, played respectively by Viggo Mortensen and Michael Fassbender (that guys career really took off recently), it also features Keira Knigtley and Vincent Cassel. I'm pretty sure this is going to be most interesting, I'm really looking forward to it.

And now for some links:
      Bonjour Tristesse reviews Robert Bresson's Pickpocket - 1959.

      The Film Connoisseur reviews Sucker Punch, I think everyone has heard how terrible it is by now, but this review brings up some most interesting points nonetheless.

      Limette puts together her Indian Cinematic Alphabet, and I have not heard of one single film mentioned....

      Fletch reflects upon ratings for films and how they can be subject to change over time.
      On this blog, I avoid using ratings for films as much as possible, I find that I cannot sum up my thoughts for a film in a single number, thus I write rather lengthy reviews...

      themoviesnob announces his most anticipated films of the upcoming summer. Personally I only look forward to Tree of Life, the rest hold little interest for me.

      The Mad Hatter lists the 100 things he loves about movies.

      Paul reviews Flesh and Bone - 1993. It sounds interesting, I might check it out...

      CS asks which is better, Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet ? Don't hesitate to go and have your say on the matter over at his blog.

      Lesya reviews The Unforgiven - 1960. A film that interests me only slightly, I probably won't see it.

      I think the excellent grindhouse/cult/exploitation film blog, Beasts In Human Skin deserves a mention, not for any post in particular as he is so prolific and each post is interesting, just the blog in general!

      Chris Richards, at Mildly Interesting Films, reviews Winter's Bone, a film I haven't seen despite all the praise.

      Speaking of Winter's Bone, I read another interesting review of it recently, written by kindafunnylookin at the blog Front Room Cinema.

      Andrew Buckle reviews Never Let Me Go, yet another recent release I haven't seen, I really am behind when it comes to all these films...

      Nathanael reviews My Love Burns, a true Forgotten Classic by the sound of it, and has even uploaded the film onto Youtube for all the view, I'll be watching it as soon as possible and reviewing it!

      And finally, I'm sure you've noticed the two banners at the top right hand side of my blog, one of them is announcing the LAMB acting school, which focuses on the work of the recently deceased Elizabeth Taylor, so you can expect a post dealing with her work sometime soon.  The second is for the Directors Chair, I'll admit that this one is a strange choice, Frank Oz, but I've decided to post a couple of reviews for his films.

      As always, feel free to use the comment section as an open thread and post whatever is on your mind.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment