Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Monday 9 May 2011

Quick Ratings/Reviews of The Week

 Despite my Silent film marathon, I have still managed to find time to watch a handful of great films (and one not so great):


The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert - 1994 directed by Stephen Elliot
9/10
A film that deserves it's cult status. It is very amusing and unconventional, Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce and Terence Stamp were all extraordinary as two cross dressers and a transvestite respectively. I admit the subject didn't sound very appealing at first, but despite what you may think, the film just works, it's as simple as that really.


Blow Up - 1981 directed by Brian De Palma
9/10
A very good thriller, possibly De Palma's finest film. Travolta was at his best here as is De Palma, the story is well written and thrilling with many twists and an excellent ending.
It was much better than I thought it would be and has aged surprisingly well despite it's subject matter.

Trainspotting - 1996 directed by Danny Boyle
10/10
A really brilliant film, far better than I remembered from all those years ago. The whole cast was excellent, especially Ewan McGregor who has never been better in my opinion, and Robert Carlyle who was at the peak of his career. The story does not glamorise drugs despite what people say, it just presents the lifestyle in a realistic fashion showing the ups and downs instead of focusing only on the depressive aspects of drugs.
Danny Boyle has never been as great as he was here, the film is a visual marvel and the soundtrack is perfectly picked.

Kill The Irishman - 2011 directed by Jonathan Hensleigh
6/10
A pretty decent film that could have done with a bit more originality, I know it's based on a true story, but I felt like the director was trying hard to make a Scorsese style Gangster film.
I recognise that it was well made and it had an interesting enough subject but for some reason I just couldn't get into this film. IT just failed to capture my interest.
Ray Stevenson was also a disappointment in the lead role I though, but the supporting cast is great and filled with familiar faces so I had fun spotting all these gangster stalwarts.
But overall a pretty average film.

A Fish Called Wanda - 1988 directed by Charles Crichton
9/10
Monty Python was genius, a real high point in comedy. Thankfully even after they split up some of the members continued making hilarious works. I suppose the most successful post Python would have to be Terry Gilliam, but he had nothing to do with this film, instead it was written (and co-directed) by John Cleese who also stars in it, Michael Palin, another ex-Python also appears in it and is wonderful.
This was easily the best comedy I had seen for a long time, all the characters were perfectly written and the script as a whole was simply brilliant. I especially loved how the film gradually shifts the focus from the criminals to Cleese's character who eventually becomes the lead.
Highly recommended, the best post-Python work, not counting Terry Gilliam's films.

This Is Spinal Tap - 1984 directed by Rob Reiner
10/10
This is just a classic. If you haven't seen this then go and watch it immediately.
It's hard to find a film funnier than this one. 
So many memorably lines and scenes, such as "How much more black can you get, none..... none more black"
or "I think of this piece as a composite of Mozart and Bach, sort of like Mach. -" It's beautiful, what do you call it"  -"Lick My Love Pump".

Feel free to share your thoughts on any of these films or maybe on the film you watched thsi week in the comments !

No comments:

Post a Comment