Pages

Welcome to my blog, if you are looking for reviews of the latest releases then I would suggest taking a look at some of the other excellent blogs mentioned to the right of this blog, for I review an eclectic mix of films from any era and any country and have sadly little time for the latest film news.
Enjoy my blog and don't hesitate to comment, I will answer without delay!

Sunday 27 March 2011

Quick Ratings/Reviews of The Week

Junior Bonner - 1972 directed by Sam Peckinpah
8/10
One of Peckinpah's less known films, probably because this one lacks the violence he was most famous for. This is a little, rather modest film that really drew me in as it went along and although I'm not particularly a fan of rodeo (in fact I rather dislike it) the film still had me gripped towards the end. It's a slow film, but it slowly rises in quality as it goes along and you'll surely end up enjoying it. Steve McQueen also gives one of his best performances.



The Killer Elite - 1975 directed by Sam Peckinpah

3/10
Oh Sam Peckinpah! , why didn't you finish your career in 1974 ? , you would have had a near perfect run of films. But instead you continued and made The Killer Elite, a remarkably bland and lifeless film that completely failed to capture my interest. There was nothing particularly terrible about it, it was just a dismal affair in all possible ways. Sadly his career didn't even finish after this, he went on to make Convoy and The Osterman Weekend, both are considered bad films as well, but I will watch have to watch them for my upcoming Peckinpah post.

Crying Freeman - 1995 directed by Christopher Gans
6/10
Pretty average film, it achieves what it aims for though and makes for an entertaining action film, but is full of glaring flaws. Read
My full review here!

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue - 1970 directed by Sam Peckinpah
7/10
Still working my way through Peckinpah's films, only three left to go!
This one is pretty simple film with touches of comedy and romance, it could have been better though. It was enjoyable enough, with Jason Robards giving one of his best performances and Stella Stevens was very good. But Many elements felt out of place and the film was overall very uneven, yet nevertheless with some good aspects.

Not one of my most productive weeks sadly, I hope to see way more this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment